The Sunny Country of Common Sense
Elfland, Here I Come!
Monday, June 19, 2006
More on Oxford
Hello!
I finally figured out how to bring back post titles...haha. Looks like I'll have to go back through my other posts and adjust 'em all!

Valerie and I will be leaving Oxford in the morning, but as Valerie said, it seems our IQs have gained several points just by being IN Oxford!

First, a bit about our hostel. Valerie booked us for a six bed all female dorm. When we arrived yesterday, we found that though they had our reservation, they had put us in a mixed dorm. They didn't mention that fact, but showed us into a room where a guy was sleeping! Valerie explained what we had requested, and they completely understood, but the all female dorm was full. They ended up moving two of the permanent males from their room that held six other female staff and letting us take those beds. Needless to say, it was a very awkward start! We were so uncomfortable here. Fortunately, tonight is much better. We have our correct room and we are able to interact with others who are just passing through and don't feel like we're invading someone else's bedroom. The people here are very friendly and it feels very safe. (That's for you, Mom--but it's true!) There's a kitchen and common area to share, which is why I'm able to do some posting here.

This morning, Valerie and I took a self-guided C.S. Lewis tour. We were able to see places that Lewis frequented, many of them with Tolkien or Dryson. Magdalen (say: Maudlin) was closed, so we wandered through a lovely park and played a bit on a fun carousel. We stopped in a cememtery that was beautiful for its history and wonderful blend of nature and graves. Many of the headstones were leaning erratically, others had already toppled and most were nearly covered by ivy, moss or weeds. At this cemetery we saw the graves of Charles Williams and Kenneth Graham (Wind in the Willows!). After lunching on food bought from a local supermarket, we ran into Lisa (the girl I sat next to on the plane), and we did some souvenir shopping with her before we headed back to Magdalen College, where Lewis was a fellow. It was amazing! Valerie and I took lots of pictures, though I'm worried that I won't remember what all of them are. We saw the windows of Lewis' room (He lived in the New Building. The one that was completed in 1733. Holy crap!) and walked along the path that he walked during the conversation he had with Dryson and Tolkien the day before his conversion. Along this path we were chased by ducks--a very scary experience!

By the end my very expensive sandals were KILLING my feet. Uh-oh. I'm not sure what I'll do about that; the problem is, I think, psychological. My left foot felt great, but I had difficulty not tensing my right big toe. I'm giving them a break tomorrow, for sure. I may end up shoe shopping in London!

Tomorrow we go to Salisbury to see a cathedral. Next day we'll be at Wincester, where we'll see many Jane Austen sites.

Thanks again for your prayers!
4 Comments:
Blogger Deborah said...
Dani! Sounds like you are having a blast!!
Are you going to visit the Torrey folks living in Lewis' old house???
I'm glad they moved the boy out of the room for you!! Good job not compromising on that one :)
I love that you are keeping track of your trip on your blog -- you know you would forget lots of details by the time you came back, and besides, it is so fun to see how the trip is going a bit at a time instead of all at once once its all said and done! I feel like we get to experience this with you :)
Love ya, sis.

Blogger Patrick Davis said...
English teacher,
I enjoy your stuff; envy your journey; and find myself wishing you would take time to check your spelling. But what do I know I am only elementary, you are HS?
Love ya and hope you do enjoy the rest of your journey. I think you are teaching me much about the way I want to share my future journey, should God give me the grace.
Dad

Blogger Deborah said...
Dan,
You'd better post soon so we know you are alive and well!!

Blogger Patrick Davis said...
Hello! I know you said you are having problems connecting, worried about viruses and all with the people you are staying with, but in my opinion you are missing the opportunity of a lifetime. All of your family are watching to read your words, and they ARE NOT appearing. I do wish you would take the time to find someplace to find connections (not at all sure I would do any better)
I do appreciate your postcards, Daughter.
Love ya,
Dad