The Sunny Country of Common Sense
Elfland, Here I Come!
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Book Tag



"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." --Dr. Seuss

1. One book that changed your life:

Hahaha!! Seriously? Just one?
I'll go with Thucydides’ The History of the Peloponnesian War. This is the first book that I had to read that I didn’t enjoy reading. My professor that day asked what we thought of the book, and he could tell from my exaggerated facial expressions that I was not a fan. Over the course of the next few hours of dialogue, I came to see that the purpose for everything I do, including reading, should be done that I may love God and love others’ better. Reading books, even the few books I don’t initially enjoy, provides me with insight into who those people are.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
“In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
How magnificent books are! The best ones just get better every time I read them. I especially feel like I’m visiting old friends when I read The Chronicles of Narnia once every year or two.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
“We read to know we are not alone.” --C.S. Lewis

Really? I can only have one? I’m going to have to copy my big sister and take my Bible, but only because I know it would be good for me to have no other books to distract me from it. And what variety of genre I’d have access to!

Unless…is my sister on this desert island with me? Because then I’d borrow her Bible and take The Complete Collection of William Shakespeare.

4. One book that made you laugh:
5. One book that made you cry:

The Small Rain, Madeleine L’engle’s first novel. It rocked my socks. It’s queued up in the “to reread” list right now.
And, of course, Charlotte's Web, the saddest story ever!

6. One book you wish had been written:

Something that actually answers all the questions I have about the church, and reconciles my conflicting opinions about Emergent/Reformed, etc, etc.

I'm also waiting any book by D. A. Davis.
7. One book you wish had never been written:

Any literature textbook. Actually, almost any textbook. They take all the fun out of learning and almost always have an unpleasant agenda.

8. One book you’re currently reading:

“The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books.” --Longfellow

I don’t know how to read one book at a time. I’m currently in the middle of Emma, The Mind of the Maker, The Everlasting Man, The Wind in the Willows, and A Severe Mercy, to name a few!

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
I really want to reread How Should We Then Live to feed my history-starved soul, and Aquinas’ section in The Christology of the Later Fathers to help me understand my Jesus a little bit more.
Also, I figure I should eventually read A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren before I argue with too many people about it. Donald Miller’s Searching for God Knows What and Brennan Manning’s Ragamuffin Gospel fit into that same category.

10. Tag five others:
Eh. If you wanna post this, do it. No tagging.